Each year, millions of people enjoy the warmth, comfort and ambiance of their hearth products during the heating season. Caution should be taken, however, when operating fireplaces and stoves, for the glass panels and other surfaces can become extremely hot due to the high efficiency of the products.
The temperature of a glass panel in particular can increase within a few minutes of ignition of the appliance and can remain hot long after the product is turned off. Touching the fireplace or stove glass can lead to significant burn injuries.
See related coverage by ABC's Good Morning America (aired 1/2/15).
Why is it important to clean and maintain your fireplace chimney flue?
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Creosote is a sticky, oily, combustible substance created when wood does not burn completely. It rises into the chimney as a liquid and deposits on the chimney wall. A conservative best estimate of creosote fires would combine failure-to-clean fires that were confined to chimney or flue or involved solid-fueled space heaters, fireplaces, chimneys and chimney connectors. This produces estimates of 15,008 reported creosote fires (28% of 53,600 home heating fires reported in 2011) with associated losses of civilian deaths, civilian injuries, and $250 million in direct property damage. Read more in the NFPA's U.S. Home Heating Equipment Fires Fact Sheet.
Why is it important to clean and maintain my dryer vent?
According to the NFPA, "In 2010, an estimated 16,800 reported U.S. non-confined or confined home structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines (including combination washer/dryers) resulted in 51 civilian deaths, 380 civilian injuries, and $236 million in direct property damage". NFPA's Washer and Dryer Safety Information.